Our volunteers provide essential support for our day-to-day operations and special events. They are a vital part of our warm atmosphere and “can-do” work ethic. Whatever your particular interest or talent, you’ll find many opportunities here at the Center. We welcome individuals, as well as corporate volunteer groups of all sizes.
- Front Desk: Greet visitors and help register guests for events and programs
- Admissions Booth: Take in cash admissions and hand out trail maps.
- Preschool: Serve as an aide for teachers in the classroom and out on the trails with our 3-5 year olds.
- Outreach Ambassador: Share your enthusiasm for the Center with our staff at community outreach events.
- Birds of Prey: Help care for and train our Birds of Prey.
- Land Stewards: Work hand-in-hand with our staff to preserve and restore our 185-acre outdoor classroom.
- Special Events: Assist with the many special events offered throughout the year, including Earth Day, Halloween Hike, Xtreme Raptor Day, Preschool events and our Annual Gala fundraiser.
We are seeking committed, responsible volunteers who are passionate about our mission. As a thank you for your commitment, volunteers enjoy these many benefits:
- 20% discount in our Nature Store
- Annual volunteer recognition dinner
- Member rates for programs and classes
- Opportunity to count volunteer hours for clubs or schools
Interested in becoming a volunteer?
We have a variety of opportunities for adults and students aged 12 and up. To learn more about ongoing opportunities or to apply to become a volunteer, select from the following:
For corporate volunteer groups interested in working with us, contact Laurie Haig, Volunteer Coordinator.
Do you have a good idea for a project? Contact us – we’d love to hear about it!
Current Volunteer Opportunities
Please contact Laurie Haig (414-352-2880 x144), the Volunteer Coordinator, for additional information regarding these volunteer positions:
- Summer Admissions Booth
We have weekday and week evening shifts available from early June to late August. Enjoy relaxing time at the center while you greet visitors, inform them of the day’s activities, and take in cash admissions. Contact Laurie Haig for specific shifts. For ages 15+
- Summer Camps:
This popular program for students aged 12 and up. Volunteers will help with younger kids at our weekday, weeklong camps throughout the summer. The first ones start the week of June 2 and the last ones start the week of August 15. If you are aged 12-14 and have not volunteered with us before, you’ll need to schedule a trial run with one of the preschool‘s after school sessions. Spots can fill quickly, so contact Laurie Haig at firstname.lastname@example.org or 414.352.2880 x 144 today for the most updated list of available camps.
- Land Stewardship:
Enjoy our beautiful outdoor sanctuary by helping the land stewards weed, plant, and remove invasive species all year long. Volunteers are welcome on Monday, Wednesday or Friday mornings from 9am to 12 noon and Saturdays from 9:30am to 12 noon. This is a drop-in program, so come when you are free. Dress for the Lake Michigan area weather, wearing pants, hiking boots or tennis shoes, and layers. Bring a reusable water bottle, hat, and garden gloves if you wish. Be sure to eat breakfast before you come! High school age and above.